Saturday, July 19, 2014

Projects for Con Mis Manos

We've had a lot of family emergencies recently, so I haven't been blogging much.  I had wanted to get involved in the June version of the Biannual Blogathon Bash, but this was one of those times that I needed to say no.  I have been trying to get a crochet club going at my church, but my church is small and we haven't had much participation, so I am trying to expand and ask people in the area to join us.  But, in the meanwhile, our church was taking a group to a mission to the deaf in Matamoros, Mexico called Con Mis Manos.  I'm just one person and they recently added a number of students, so there was no way I could make all the things that they needed: hats, Bible covers, and blankets.  But, I did manage to get a couple of pieces done.  Wednesday, the group left for Mexico, so we are praying they will be a blessing.  They loaded a trailer with supplies (the ladies group purchased a few sewing machines that they use to teach a skill, a lady had a Pampered Chef show where people could either purchase items for the mission or purchase items for themselves and the proceeds were going directly to Con Mis Manos, and various donations).  These are the hats I managed to finish and I was also able to finish my first blanket/afghan.  I'd never attempted one before, so this was new territory!


Next, I will be trying to recruit members for the crochet group to make items for other charities: cancer patients, babies in the NICU (or ones that are stillborn), children's homes, and the homeless.





No comments:

Post a Comment